Fork me on GitHub

2 Nov 2009

Git and Hudson

I just encountered a rather annoying problem when running Hudson as a service on Ubuntu. I was getting the following exception whenever the build checked code out of GitHub:
hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Could not apply tag hudson-Selenium_RC_Plugin-23
 at hudson.plugins.git.GitAPI.tag(GitAPI.java:265)
It turns out Git needs a username to be set and the hudson user that the Debian package creates when Hudson is installed doesn't have one. Easily fixed by using sudo nano /etc/passwd to add Hudson,,, into the hudson user's entry (if you look at your own entry you should see where it needs to go).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! This worked for me, after failing miserably for a couple of hours I finally stumbled onto your page.

Martin de Keijzer (DreamworX) said...

Great post, I was just getting stuck on this.